Whilst I have my reservation about Nollywood, I must confess that certain movie scenes still hit the mark.
Remember the last time you saw a wife ask her husband for something important (like money for the latest shoe or hand bag) in a movie, it’s usually done in the middle of the night. She quietly puts on the red light, lean over her husband and calls him a fruit/food…words such as “Honey or Sugar” suddenly becomes his first name.
Sure enough, the sugared male wakes up. Although tired, her irresistible touch and sweet voice keeps him awake. He sits up and then she breaks the news to him – “Honey, please I need 100k for my hand bag”…
Ever wondered why she executes her game plan at night? Whoever writes this scenes must have learnt a few tricks from the book of Ruth.
Well, here is the full gist. Lets go to Ruth chapter three(3) and verses three and four
“Take a bath. Put on some perfume. Get all dressed up and go to the threshing floor. But don’t let him know you’re there until the party is well under way and he’s had plenty of food and drink. When you see him slipping off to sleep, watch where he lies down and then go there. Lie at his feet to let him know that you are available to him for marriage. Then wait and see what he says. He’ll tell you what to do.”
It’s an ancient strategy that always works, it worked for Ruth and ever since it has been working for most women, except the ones dating or married to truck drivers( you certainly don’t want to wake his tired body and soul after a long day sitting behind the wheels, abeg wait till morning oo my sister).
Blessed with a wise and experienced mother-in-law, Ruth was positioned for success. She was the first to propose to a man without literally proposing (ladies, are you still with me? I wonder who said it wasn’t a lady’s thing to do) having understood the psychology of dating(for a lack of proper word).
A few tips on how it’s been done by the Pro.
1. Take a bath: In simple words, put your past behind honey. Get over your exes, let go of the past and put aside the pain. Drop the heavy baggage of regret and resentment…freshen up young lady.
2. Put on some perfume: Come on ladies, if poor Ruth could afford a perfume back then you don’t have an excuse. I mean, regardless of your religious beliefs even Jesus was pleased with a prostitute for bringing one along. Plait that hair of yours sister, stop looking 50 at 20, it’s criminal offence ma. Best of all, put on the greatest makeup ever made; a genuine smile…as priceless as your loving heart.
3. Get all dressed up: I certainly don’t expect you to dress like Naomi, the old widow who isn’t looking for a husband nor should you dress like Boaz’s mother, a prostitute by profession. I don’t know about other men, but I feel a bit irritated when a lady dresses up in clothes that display her breast like N50 oranges begging to be squeezed. It’s rather appalling.
Dress your best, by all means let the curve loose but don’t confuse the poor man. Wink*
4. Go to the threshing floor(give him a treat) : I know this may not sound convectional in this part of the world, but can I ask when last you took him on a date and paid the bills? Okay, that’s suppose to be his duty right…Who says so? Take the initiative, spoil your man a bit.wink*
5. Stuff him with plenty of food and drinks: It’s often said that the way to a man’s heart is through his belly(count me out though because i practically eat once a day.lol).
On a serious note, whilst am not advocating that you become his housemaid or chief cook, send the man to heaven with your delicacies whenever you can (preferably let the cooking be in your home when he comes visiting). Trust me, good food can twist a man’s tongue and open wide his cheque book.
6. Watch where he lies and go there: Nothing trips a man than having a friend in his woman, someone who believes and shares his dreams, who shows interest in his hobbies however weird it seems. Honey, find out his life vision, give him your support, be his playmate and he would dance to your tune anytime any day…don’t believe, go ask your mama.wink*
And by all means honey, let him know you are available to him for marriage…It’s not an offense under our Nigerian laws abeg!
Oh, don’t forget to send my an invite for your wedding. Smiles*